Photo by John Joy
Leftover Salmon featuring Bill Payne of Little Feat played to a large crowd this past weekend on Sunday, April 20th. With the entire city a-lit with activities throughout the day, folks gathered in the streets outside of Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom in Denver, CO, while Method Man and Redman performed inside to a packed house.
“People around the world are looking at Denver on this day…” said Vince Herman to The Denver Post/ Reverb. “I feel really glad that we can have a role celebrating in the streets.”
“It’s a little piece of culture that people can feel they own, and we’re going to see more and more of it,” Herman went on to state.
A bluegrass-focused jam band playing at the same event as a hip-hop act, Herman said is evidence of the different genres and cultures 4/20 brings to Denver. Vince said, “It’s a great indicator of the diversity of music in the Mile High City.”
The gates opened around 2pm with Leftover Salmon featuring Bill Payne taking the stage at 4:20pm. They brought up many guest throughout the day. After kicking off with “The 420 Polka” to celebrate this historic event, Karl Denson joined the band on sax on the majority of the first set. Anders Beck (Greensky Bluegrass), Allie Kral, Silas Herman (Gipsy Moon), Paul Hoffman (Greensky Bluegrass), Bonnie Paine (Elephant Revival) joined in in the second set. Everyone that sat in during the second set came back on stage, along with Daniel Rodriguez (Elephant Revival), to play during the encore.
The full set is available to download on www.LiveSalmon.com. All Leftover Salmon shows are streamed live on the site as well, pending a solid internet connection.
April 20th, 2014
Still Smokin’ – In the Streets of Denver, CO
1. 420 Polka
2. Down in the Hollow
3. Boo Boo > Gimmie da’ting (with Karl Denson)
4. Easy to Slip (with Karl Denson)
5. Breakin’ Through (with Karl Denson)
6. High Country
7. Bird Call (with Karl Denson)
1. Zombie Jamboree
3. All Nite Ride
4. Shanty (with Anders Beck)
5. Aquatic Hitchhiker (with Anders Beck)
6. Rag Mama Rag (with Anders Beck and Allie Kral)
7. Willin’ (with Anders Beck and Allie Kral)
8. Viper (with Anders Beck, Allie Kral and Silas Herman)
9. River’s Risin > Marley Medley
10. Everybody Must Get Stoned (with Silas Herman and Paul Hoffman)
11. Pasta on the Mountain (with Anders Beck, Silas Herman, and Paul Hoffman, and Bonnie Paine)
12. Boogie (with Anders Beck, Allie Kral, Silas Herman, Paul Hoffman, and Bonnie Paine)
13. Henry (with Bonnie Paine and Silas Herman)
14. Reach (with Bonnie Paine, Daniel Rodriguez, Silas Herman, Anders Beck, and Paul Hoffman and Allie Kral)
*Whole show with Bill Payne of Little Feat on Keys & Organ
For more information, please visit: www.LeftoverSalmon.com